Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Adventures of HayRake Slim and Shorty

DISCLAIMER: No animals were harmed during the writing of this poem.

One Big Itch

"I swear this colt is one big itch!"
Said Shorty with a squall
"He's torn my saddle all to bits
By rubbin' 'gainst the wall!"

"I'll put an end to this!" He cried
With fiery, raging, ire
"I'll teach him to respect my tack.
I'll tie him to a hot-wire!"

Next day when they had made their ride
He'd not forgot his boast
And left that colt securely tied
To a solid, wooden post

So when around that horse did swing
To scratch his itchy hide
With a flash a pop a zap a zing
Poor Itch got hot-fence fried

He pulled back on the lead rope
And against the halter fought
He jerked and plunged and reared on high
Then on his back he flopped

Shorty watched but never made
One move to cut the line
"Just let him sort it out." He said
"In a minute he'll be fine."

Well sure enough he scrambled up
And shook away the dirt
He stood there breathin' kinda hard
But otherwise unhurt

Now Shorty kept that colt you know
He rode that horse for years
And when he tied him to a wall
He nevermore did fear

But if a stirrup ever brushed
On tree or gate or rock
Ol' Itchy'd jump just like a cat
Before he could get shocked

The End

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious!!! I laughed so hard tears were forming. I could picture a certain "someone" doing this :) Keep 'em coming - we appreciate the chuckles!!!

    Mom :)

    ReplyDelete